Tour

Daegu Seomun Market

Introduction

Seomun Market (formerly known as Daegu-Keun Market) of Daegu is steeped in history. Along with Pyeongyang Market and Ganggyeong Market, Seomun Market was one of the three main markets during the Joseon Dynasty. It is situated only 300m from the West Gate of the city, and was befittingly named Seomunsijang (West Gate Market). Though the market has grown from its small size, the names of the alleyways such as Hongdukkaejeon and Dakjeon remains unchanged.

The specialties of the current Seomun Market include fabric-related items like silk, satin, linen, cotton, knitted goods, and clothing. However, visitors to the market will also find a decent selection of crafts, silver products and dried seafood. While still traditional in many respects, Seomun Market offers modern conveniences including a heating and cooling system and a large parking lot.

The signature dish of Seomun Night Market is Cup Makchang, small servings of Korea’s soul food makchang (beef intestines). Other popular dishes include mu tteokbokki, a unique take on a classic Korean dish with thinly sliced radish, and a remake of British fare shrimp and chips.

Suseong Pond Resort

Introduction

Suseong Pond Resort is located at the foot of the northwest side of Yongjibong Peak (629m) in Beommul-dong and offers outstanding scenery including gentle mountains along with Suseong Pond. The resort is centered around Suseong Pond, established in 1925 with 70,000 pondage in a circumfrence of 2,020m. The total area of the park is 218,000 ㎡. 

Suseong pond is an artificial pond created in 1925 during Japanese colonial era to supply water for agriculture to rural areas. These days, it is no longer used for agricultural purposes, but has turned into a resting area. Nearby the pond is Suseong Land which houses benches, trees, cruise boarding dock, biking, bumper car, merry-go round and other entertainment facilities. Also, visitors can enjoy a duck-boat, Dusan waterfalls and other exciting places perfect for excursion.
Built in September 2007, the music fountain operates from May to October four times a day during the week.

Daegu Seomun Market

Introduction

Seomun Market (formerly known as Daegu-Keun Market) of Daegu is steeped in history. Along with Pyeongyang Market and Ganggyeong Market, Seomun Market was one of the three main markets during the Joseon Dynasty. It is situated only 300m from the West Gate of the city, and was befittingly named Seomunsijang (West Gate Market). Though the market has grown from its small size, the names of the alleyways such as Hongdukkaejeon and Dakjeon remains unchanged.

The specialties of the current Seomun Market include fabric-related items like silk, satin, linen, cotton, knitted goods, and clothing. However, visitors to the market will also find a decent selection of crafts, silver products and dried seafood. While still traditional in many respects, Seomun Market offers modern conveniences including a heating and cooling system and a large parking lot.

The signature dish of Seomun Night Market is Cup Makchang, small servings of Korea’s soul food makchang (beef intestines). Other popular dishes include mu tteokbokki, a unique take on a classic Korean dish with thinly sliced radish, and a remake of British fare shrimp and chips.

the capital city of Silla for 992 years.
The history of Gyeongju, once called Seorabeol,
is also the history of the thousand-year-old Silla Kingdom.
Gyeongju embraces Buddhism, science, andvibrant ancient culture that blossomed by the artistry of the Silla people, and the great spirits of Hwarangdo that enabled the unification of the three kingdoms.
Thus, Gyeongju is a UNESCO-designated city which should be preserved by the public.
The evergreen spirit of Silla has been alive here for nearly a thousand years.

Witha thousand years of the evergreen spirit of Silla,
Gyeongju is truly a museum without a roof.

Bulguksa Temple [UNESCO World Heritage]

Introduction

Bulguksa Temple is the representative relic of Gyeongju and was designated as a World Cultural Asset by UNESCO in 1995. The beauty of the temple itself and the artistic touch of the stone relics are known throughout the world. 

Bulguksa Temple was built in 528 during the Silla Kingdom, in the 15th year of King Beop-Heung's reign (514-540). The temple was originally called ‘Hwaeom Bulguksa Temple’ or ‘Beopryusa Temple’ and was rebuilt by Kim Dae-Seong (700-774), who started rebuilding the temple in 751 during the reign of King Gyeong-Deok (r. 742-765) and completed it in 774 during the reign of King Hye-Gong (r. 765-780). Upon completion, the temple’s name was changed to Bulguksa. 

Bulguksa Temple underwent numerous renovations from the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) to the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), but was burned down during the Imjin War (Japanese Invasions, 1592-1598). 

Reconstruction started again in 1604 during the 37th year of King Seon-jo’s reign (Joseon Dynasty) and was renovated about 40 times until 1805 (during the reign of King Sun-Jo, 1790-1834). After this time, the temple suffered serious damage and was often the target of robbers. 

In 1969, the Bulguksa Temple Restoration Committee was formed and in 1973, Mulseoljeon, Gwaneumjeon, Birojeon, Gyeongru, and Hoerang (all of which had previously been demolished) were rebuilt. Other old or broken sites (such as Daeungjeon, Geungnakjeon, Beomyeongnu and Jahamun) were repaired. 

Even today, Bulguksa Temple is home to many important cultural relics such as Dabotap Pagoda (National Treasure No. 20), Seokgatap Pagoda (National Treasure No. 21), Yeonhwa-gyo & Chilbo-gyo Bridges (National Treasure No. 22), Cheongun-gyo & Baegun-gyo Bridges (National Treasure No. 23), Seokguram Grotto (National Treasure No. 24), the Golden Seated Vairocana Buddhist Figure (National Treasure No. 26), the Golden Seated Amita Figure (National Treasure No. 27), and Saritap Pagoda (Treasure No. 61).

Current Status

UNESCO World Heritage / Historic Site No. 502 (Designated on December 21, 2009)

Seokguram Grotto [UNESCO World Heritage]

Introduction

Seokguram, located on Tohamsan Mountain, is the representative stone temple of Korea. The official name of Seokguram, National Treasure No. 24, is Seokguram Seokgul. Designated as a World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1995, it is an artificial stone temple made of granite. The construction was started by Kim Dae-Seong (700-774) in 751 during the reign of King Gyeong-Deok (742-765) of the Silla Kingdom (57 BC - AD 935) and it was finished twenty-four years later in 774, during the reign of King Hye-Gong (765-780). 

Seokguram is known to have been built with Bulguksa Temple. According to the history book Samgukyusa of the Goryeo Dynasty (the country that unified the Korean peninsula at the end of the Silla Kingdom, 918-1392), Kim Dae-Seong had Bulguksa Temple built for his parents in his current life, and Seokguram Grotto for the parents of his former life. 

Inside the round-shaped main hall are the Bonjon Statue, Bodhi-sattva and his disciples. The Bonjon figure wearing a generous smile is seated on the stage engraved with a lotus flower design. The rounded ceiling looks like a half-moon or a bow and has a lotus flower decorated cover on it. As the sunrise from this spot is quite beautiful, many people climb the mountain at daybreak.

Current Status

National Treasure No. 24 (designated on December 20, 1962)

Daereungwon Tomb Complex (Cheonmachong Tomb)

Introduction

Within Daereungwon Tomb Complex is Cheonmachong Tomb (Ancient Tomb No. 155), which was excavated in 1973. Cheonmachong Tomb consists of a wooden coffin placed inside an underground chamber mounded with boulders and earth, characterized as a typical upper class tomb of the Silla period. The mound has a height of 12.7 m with a diameter of 50 m, and consists of a layer of rocks collected from streams. Below the rock layer is a wooden chamber with a length of 6.5 m and a width of 2.1, reaching 2.1 m in height, with the wooden coffin at its center. A total of 11,526 artifacts were discovered within the tomb, including Cheonmado, an artwork considered to be highly valuable as it is Korea's first artwork to be excavated from an ancient tomb.

Current Status

[Daereungwon Ancient Tomb Complex, Gyeongju]
Historic Site No. 512 (Designated on July 28, 2011)

Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond

Introduction

Gyeongju Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond were the secondary palace site which was used for the palace of the Crown Prince along with other subsidiary buildings and it also was the banquet site for important national event and important visitors. After the fall of Silla, the site was abandoned and forgotton. The pond was referred to as "Anapji" instead during the time of Goryeo and Joseon period. In the 1980s, pottery fragment with letters “Wolji” (a pond that reflects the moon) carved onto it was found, revealing the true name of the pond. After the discovery, the site has been renamed to the current Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond.

Current Status

[Donggung Palace and Wolji Pond, Gyeongju] Historic Site No. 18 (Designated on January 21, 1963)

Andong-the home of traditional Korean culture-is blessed with cultural items from virtually every periods of Korean history.
There are many wonderful wooden cultural artifacts, which had preserved the memories of the past and the richness of Korean's magnificant folk culture has been integrated into Korean daily life.
Moreover Korean spiritual philosophies, such as Buddhism, Confucianism and Shamanism have accumulated over the centuries like layers of sedimentary rock.

Hahoe village[UNESCO World Heritage]

Introduction

This is a village whose main habitants are of the Pungsan Ryu clan. It is called Hahoe because the river Nakdong flows around the village in an S-shape.

The village is set in a scene of unsurpassed beauty. Three mountains and a dense pine forest encircle it like folding screens. The river Nakdong flows smoothly by, bordered by sandy beaches. Overhead rears the strange rock shapes of Buyongdae cliff.

The village itself contains various typical Korean houses preserved since the early Joseon Dynasty. Folk performances such as Hahoe Maskdance and Seonyu-Julbul-Nori(traditional fireworks) are still played, thereby making this village an ideal place to understand the traditional culture of Andong.

Current Status

UNESCO World Heritage( Designated on July 31, 2010)

Byeongsan Confucian Academy

Introduction

Originally named Pungak Seodang, this school was relocated here from Pungsan-hyeon during the fifth year of King Seonjo’s reign(1572) by Ryu Seong-ryong.

It was used for training purposes. In 1614, Confucian scholars erected a memorial tablet in honor of Ryu’s scholastic achievements. Thus, this became a well-known for Confucian academy.

Located near Mt. Hwasan and Hahoe Village, Byeongsan Confucian academy is adjacent to Nakdonggang. It is known for its spectacular scenery and splendid architecture.

Current Status

Historic Site No. 260

Sisadan

Introduction

Special Dosan examination called was held here King Jeongjo, the 22nd king of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) was deeply touched by Lee Hwang and established this building in his honor.

This site was also built for promoting scholarship.

Current Status

Tangible Cultural Property No. 33

Wolyeonggyo Bridge

Introduction

The largest wooden bridge in the nation with 3.6m wide and 387m long.

Wolyeong-gyo is in harmony with moonlight on the lake and mountains surrounding the Nakdong River, which remain us of a part of an oriental painting.

Nearby are the Palgak-jeong Pavillion and fountains, all of which add another beauty to the area.

Bongjeongsa Temple

Introduction

In the twelfth year of King Munmu’s reign during the Silla Dynasty (672), Monk Euisang flew a paper phoenix into the sky from Buseoksa Temple.

It has been said that the temple was constructed on the site where this paper phoenix was placed, and thus called ‘Bongjeongsa Temple.’(‘Bong’means phoenix, while ‘Jeong’means stay).
It contains manycultural artifacts, such as Geuk’ rakjeon, the oldest wooden building in Korea.

Daeungjeon, Hwawomkangdang and Gokumdang were constructed during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), which contain valuable materials for architectural research.

Additionally, there are three-story pagodas called Deokhuiru, Yosachae, and several small Buddhist temples, such as Yeongsanam hall and Jijoam hall.

Current Status

Geukrakjeon Hall National (Treasure No. 15), Daeungjeon Hall(National Treasure No. 311), Icheon-dong Maeyeoraeipsang (Treasure No. 115)